By joining Valtech you will become part of a unique digital consultancy. We bring together design, data science and software engineering professionals to deliver new products for our customers across the UK.
This diverse set of capabilities means that no two projects are the same. We undertake transformative projects with a collaborative approach. We work with our customers employing Agile and Lean principles to support decision making, build understanding and ultimately deliver the right service to users.
We are passionate about delivery and curious about new innovations in digital. Our teams seek to fail fast to accelerate learning making experimentation safe. As communities we are sociable and encourage learning. We use regular internal events, meet ups and external events to engage with new ideas at all levels.
How we deliver
There are some fundamental principles to the way that we deliver. While we are pragmatic in our approach to any specific project, if you don’t share these values we are unlikely to be a good fit for you:
- Cross-functional teams
Agile methods have always emphasised the merit of teams with all the skills necessary to delivery on user’s needs. To work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team it helps to be genuinely interested in the work of those in other roles. We value the flexibility to pick up slack across other areas of capability as well as expertise and specialization.
We find that diverse groups working together come to better solutions. In user testing this approach builds empathy in the team. In design we collaborate to test ideas and develop alternatives. As a team we work together to improve our approach.
- Continuous learning
This applies to product development as it applies to individuals. Our projects are designed to engage with uncertainty creating opportunities to learn. We use experiments, prototypes and hypotheses to learn about user behaviour, design algorithms and select technologies. Our communities of practice provide a space for us to improve and learn from peers. While as individuals a personal training budget enables opportunity to grow and develop.
- Outcome Focus
When driving our projects we focus on outcomes. Knowing how a project will be deemed a success by users and customers enables creativity and innovation.
You’ll be helping to build data-centric solutions for Valtech’s customers, applying engineering discipline to ensure high quality. This isn’t a backroom role, and you can expect to spend time discussing design approaches and requirements with your colleagues and customers in addition to being engaged in development activities. You’ll be comfortable picking up new technologies as and when the need arises.
- Design, development and operation of data pipelines within a multidisciplinary agile team.
- Analysis of requirements in order to understand the design options.
- Understand and communicate the pros and cons of different technologies and approaches.
- Collaborate with architects and operations engineers to propose and deploy cloud or on-premises infrastructure.
Skills and Experience Sought
You’ll have gone through the full project lifecycle – and understand how design decisions play out in production. You may have worked in traditional data warehousing environments, but you are up to speed with more contemporary data architectures based on open source technologies.
- Experience with varied types of data: tabular, graph, time-series, geospatial, image, etc.
- Practical knowledge of:
- Different types of database – relational; document; graph; columnar; key-value.
- Large scale data processing platforms, typically based on Hadoop / Spark.
- Business intelligence / analytics products or frameworks
- Data visualisation frameworks
- Experience of systems deployment and configuration for cloud platforms, including selection of relevant PaaS / SaaS offerings.
- Knowledge of data integration technologies.
- Knowledge of distributed computing & information security
- Ability to write good quality code in a JVM language like Java or Scala, incorporating disciplines such as Test Driven Development and structured version control; familiarity with Python a bonus.
- While you may not have an exclusively agile background, you strive to work to these principles.