We take the complicated and make it simple. We support our clients in the research, design and marketing of smart digital experiences and interfaces. We develop innovative products.
We’re passionate about digital and we live in the possibilities of the future. We thrive on agility and on constant concern for the end user’s experience.
We are looking for a Project Director to our team in the New York City office. If you’re up for the challenge you have a chance to join us in the pursuit of becoming the leading digital agency globally. We are well underway with offices worldwide and across the US. But there is still work to be done.
Project Directors provide structure and support the overall vision for assigned projects (e.g. web development, advertising, strategy, technology, etc). They are responsible for helping define the vision of the program and overseeing its execution. This may involve management of multiple projects, across multiple brands or clients, by a team of project managers, and ensuring the overall health of the projects in their portfolio (financials, resources, risks, relationships), or overseeing one large portfolio-sized account.
The Project Director serves as “Lead” on large client accounts and is accountable for the delivery management team’s organization, operational efficiencies and health within their assigned accounts. Within that role the director may be responsible for supervising one or more project managers and/or senior project managers. They will interface heavily with senior creative, technical, and executive management within the client to assure that the solution is understood and addresses the customer’s business requirements. They will also ensure that the challenge and requirements are understood by the team and will participate in the solution developed by the team.
They will be responsible for delivering accurate financial management of the accounts/brands to which they are assigned and for delivering improved account margins. In addition to the project responsibilities, Project Directors will also participate in the business development process and will be a key member of the pre-sales team where appropriate. They will proactively manage risk to ensure project success.
· Has a deep understanding of the client’s business, their needs, expectations, and requirements
· Leads the project team in determining the approach, deliverables, schedule and tools to deliver the project within established constraints
· Develops processes for project delivery, from scoping through execution and closure
· Works with client team as well as any and all members of assigned project team to estimate costs and timing for tasks such as project strategy, functional design, visual design, technology requirements, etc., utilizing established estimating process and tools. Ensures the feasibility of project delivery given scope, time and budget constraints. Partners with Solution Lead, and/or Account Management to identify pursuits and make go/no-go decisions
· Ensures that client signoff is obtained at key points during projects
· Coordinates activities of the project management team and has overall responsibility for delivery health of projects in the assigned accounts (whether by managing projects directly or by managing project managers on projects)
· Ensures that project management team is handling core functions of the PM role, such as: scheduling and facilitating project-related team meetings (i.e. kick-offs, status, internal/client reviews, etc.), communicating action steps to team, and delivering weekly status reports to project team, the client and management
· Develops processes and standards for project documentation and ensures that the project management team is developing, maintaining, reviewing and/or disseminating all project documentation including status reports, invoices, change orders, project schedules, budgets, and post mortem reviews
· Ensures that all project documentation is produced in the standard format, follows internal documentation processes and is reviewed and approved
· Directs vendor/third party relationships at the account or large project level
MONITORING – SCHEDULING, FINANCIALS, RISK MANAGEMENT
· Ensures adherence to processes for scope management and change control
· Oversees project management team on accounts to ensure that projects in the assigned accounts are completed according to schedule and within budget
· Responsible for delivering work with sold margins
· Responsible for developing solutions to margin challenges at the account and project levels
· Responsible for identifying and driving solutions to project risk challenges at the account and project levels
· Responsible for accuracy throughout the project financial lifecycle for all projects within the assigned accounts, including estimates, revenue forecasts, invoicing, payables, receivables, etc.
· Is also responsible for developing and adhering to processes for project and account financial management
· Responsible for collaborating with the Director, Project Delivery and Quality on staffing of project management team members within assigned accounts, including recruiting, hiring and contractor usage
· Responsible for optimizing team utilization, working with leads across all disciplines in the assigned accounts
· Responsible for ensuring that the project management team in the assigned accounts follow internal processes and adjust staffing needs in a timely manner based on project shifts
· Identifies staffing needs within assigned accounts and works with delivery lead and recruiting to fill open positions
· Actively participates and develops expertise in interviewing potential job candidates
· Is a contributor on the content and presentation of key client deliverables as required to ensure relevancy, strategy, quality and timeliness
· Establishes relationships with key client team members at the account level or in high profile projects
· Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with agency policies and employment laws, including: planning, assigning, and directing work; on-boarding new employees; working with direct reports to ensure they understand expectations of their performance and to help them identify commitments; providing direction and feedback via regular meetings and as needed; fostering employees’ ongoing skill and career development; conducting mid-year and annual performance reviews; recognizing good performance; and addressing performance issues
· Ensures direct reports who are managers carry out the same supervisory responsibilities
· Builds team expertise by mentoring junior team members and offering training in relevant methodologies, techniques, frameworks, etc.
· Works with the Discipline lead, Solution Leads, Practice Leads and other team members to develop and/or promote best practices for the discipline
· Proactively works to define and/or improve delivery management policies and procedures
· Elevates issues around direct report compensation to manager
· 8+ years’ experience managing multiple large, complex and cross functional interactive projects, preferably in a consulting or agency environment
· Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree preferred
· Expert knowledge of one or more of the following: software development life cycles, web technologies, web development processes and the delivery of solutions with creative and engineering components, media and advertising projects, digital strategy projects
· Expert understanding of project management methodology including the ability to identify and resolve issues, manage risk, develop detailed work plans and specifications, perform resource allocations and run team meetings
· Ability to work on multiple projects and manage multiple project managers and/or senior project managers at one time
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Excellent organizational and time management skills
· Demonstrated ability to motivate staff/project/account team, inspire teamwork and take a leadership role
· Ability to solve complex account-wide problems with keen instincts and organizational experience
· Must be able to simultaneously focus on big picture, details and driving results.
· Expert knowledge of contract interpretation and negotiation
· 3-5 years of people management experience
Here’s what it’s like to work for us:
We’re advisors, visionaries, creative and techies…with an agency mindset. We believe in working together, and that the best results come when we pool our knowledge and brainstorm the right solution for our customers.
We embrace all things digital.
Our ambition is to become global leader in the digital space. No more, no less. Our customers look to us to help them succeed in the digital landscape. We deliver work that makes them the leaders in their industries, based on a thorough understanding of their business and a close collaboration with their employees.
We talk to each other.
We work in an open environment, with business developers, web technologists, strategists and creatives sitting side-by-side, pooling their collective wisdom in order to come up with the best solution for our clients.
We have fun.
We don’t believe in boredom. We do work hard, and we put in the hours we need to get the job done, but we also have a vibrant, dynamic atmosphere with passionate colleagues who enjoy what they do.
We love our clients.
Seriously! They are the reason why we are here. And why wouldn’t we? We are working with some of the biggest and most interesting brands in the world, along with a lot of other companies that all have great ambition to succeed in the digital space.
Valtech has almost 3,000 employees across 38 offices worldwide. In North America, we have offices in New York, Dallas, Chicago, Toronto and Montreal.
We’re looking ahead.
We are driven by a visionary mindset, and that means there is plenty of room for initiative and for talented people to shape who we are tomorrow.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.