By joining Valtech you will become part of a unique digital consultancy. We bring together design, data science and software engineering professionals to deliver new products to our customers across the UK.
This diverse set of capabilities means that no two projects are the same. We undertake transformative projects with a collaborative approach. We work with our customers employing Agile and Lean principles to support decision-making, build understanding and ultimately deliver the right service to users.
We are passionate about delivery and curious about new innovations in digital. Our teams seek to fail fast to accelerate learning making experimentation safe. As communities, we are sociable and encourage learning. We use regular internal events, meetups and external events to engage with new ideas at all levels.
How we deliver
There are some fundamental principles to the way that we deliver. While we are pragmatic in our approach to any specific project, if you don’t share these values we are unlikely to be a good fit for you:
- Cross-functional teams
Agile methods have always emphasised the merit of teams with all the skills necessary to delivery on user’s needs. To work effectively with a multi-disciplinary team it helps to be genuinely interested in the work of those in other roles. We value the flexibility to pick up slack across other areas of capability as well as expertise and specialization.
We find that diverse groups working together come to better solutions. In user testing, this approach builds empathy in the team. In design, we collaborate to test ideas and develop alternatives. As a team, we work together to improve our approach.
- Continuous learning
This applies to product development as it applies to individuals. Our projects are designed to engage with uncertainty creating opportunities to learn. We use experiments, prototypes and hypotheses to learn about user behaviour, design algorithms and select technologies. Our communities of practice provide a space for us to improve and learn from peers. While as individuals a personal training budget enables the opportunity to grow and develop.
- Outcome Focus
When driving our projects we focus on outcomes. Knowing how users and customers will deem a project a success enables creativity and innovation.
The Extra Bits
As a Sitecore Developer within our organisation you will be facing interesting questions about the implementation of large-scale software systems that need to handle daily challenges of scaling, resilience and performance.
As a consultant you are expected to develop expertise both in technology and the means to communicate complex concepts and rationale to non-techies. We’ll encourage and support this with frequent opportunities to share ideas internally. We also have consultants frequently deliver at regional, national and global conferences.
Being effective in software delivery isn’t all about the code, we’ll be looking to see good experience and awareness across many of the following areas:
- Experience working in cross-functional teams using Scrum and/or Kanban
- Experience participating in workshops to identify and define user requirements
- Experience writing acceptance tests and understanding Behavior Driven Development principles
- Experience developing highly interactive websites and familiarity with the challenges involved
- Experience of team development in integrated environments using managed source control systems such as Git
- Possess a good understanding of different software architectures
- Proven experience working in projects where Test Driven Development, Behaviour Driven Development, pair programming and refactoring principles were applied
- Knowledge of Software/ Enterprise Design Patterns
- Experience with development infrastructure and tools (revision control, bug tracking, wiki)
On the tech side:
- .NET Software Development (C#)
- Sitecore (preferably version 8)
- Development practices: pair programming, planning poker, CI or CD, IoC, TDD, BDD, mocking frameworks
- Software engineering: Capable of designing software solutions with DDD and SOLID principles
- Have worked in a Scrum team as a developer or a Scrum Master
While we believe that good people can learn new things quickly, it wouldn’t hurt if you had solid experience with any the following supporting technologies:
- Glass mapper
- TeamCity and Octopus
- MVC, WebAPI, Razor
- AngularJS, BackboneJS, KnockoutJS, NodeJS
As well as excellent written and oral communication skills, the candidate must have a genuine interest in the industry and aforementioned technologies, a trait quantified by their ability to stay up to date with the latest developments and best practices.