Technical Director – Java / eCommerce
Location: UK - Hybrid / Remote Working
A few words about us:
First things first… What will you become a part of? Valtech is a global digital agency focused on business transformation. We enable clients to anticipate tomorrow’s trends and connect more directly with their consumers across digital and physical touchpoints.
We deliver innovation with a purpose. With expertise across experience design, technology and marketing, our passion is in addressing transformational business challenges for our clients. Challenges where we re-imagine the customer journey and build new connected experiences. Challenges where we make data work in this new era and help our clients transform the way they operate and optimise business-critical digital platforms for multichannel commerce and marketing.
From discovery to optimisation, clients trust Valtech to remove complexity and deliver innovative, frictionless solutions that close the experience gap between customer expectation and reality. We are a network of more than 5,000 makers, thinkers, marketers, creatives, and developers spanning 5 continents with 50+ offices in 22 countries.
The Technical Director for Java and eCommerce will support and encourage the growth of our commercial capabilities and will lead a community of talented people who are passionate about building best in class digital solutions.
This is a leadership role in the UK business, but we are a genuinely global business with a global community that actively supports and promotes the fostering of connections, knowledge sharing and influence across borders. So, whilst you’ll be based in the UK, we really want someone who is excited about being part of something bigger and who is up for impacting global strategy.
Our perfect candidate really cares about helping teams to make things better for users. They will be as credible as a coach and mentor as they are as a technologist. Curiosity, critical thought, and an ability to get under the skin of our clients’ businesses will make this role seriously satisfying.
This role reports into the UK CTO and will work very closely with other functional directors and colleagues across Valtech.
What you will be doing:
- Owning technical assurance, technical guidance, technical strategy, technical standards, technical processes and technical vision for those clients.
- Acting as a technical escalation point for issues that occur within the assigned clients.
- Gathering, generating, and synthesising strong opinions and thought leadership on commerce technology trends to influence/shape internal and client strategy.
- Supporting and sponsoring technical events with our partners.
- Supporting client engagements directly by assuring technical work done for our clients is in line with Valtech and out client’s technology standards and expectations.
- Supporting our sales, marketing, and account management teams both in exploring opportunities for growth within our clients and in delivering bids and proposals.
- Strengthening the UK’s technical presence and involvement within the global Valtech community
- Supporting the recruitment and client management teams with staff planning/forecasting and talent acquisition for the delivery of the projects.
- Identify, Mentor and Develop future technical leaders within the assigned client delivery teams.
- Sponsor 1-2 Craft Circles (Communities of Practice)
- Passionate about technology, developing teams, and delivering successful outcomes.
- Deep understanding of building Java based eCommerce solutions at scale.
- Proven track record building and leading communities of technologists
- Proven ability to collaborate with clients and demonstrate passion for their outcomes.
- Established as a well-rounded technologist with experience across technology and business domains.
- Proven ability to engage and influence at C-suite/DG level.
- Proven ability to advocate for delivery methods (especially agile) and understand the impact on technology planning/strategy.
- Deep experience in problem solving.
Technology domains we are particularly interested in talking to you about:
- Java development.
- Retail / Commerce domain experience.
- eCommerce platforms – Commercetools, ATG, Fluent.
- Accessible front-end engineering.
- Devops culture.
- Continuous integration/delivery/deployment.
- Infrastructure automation and the evolution of infrastructure.
- Azure, AWS, GCP.
- Secure by design.
- Composable Architectures and MACH.
What can you expect from us:
At Valtech you’ll become part of our exceptional team of more than 5,000 talented innovators, design thinkers, marketers, creatives, and engineers. We interact across countries, disciplines, trades, roles and teams. We are consultants before anything else and take ownership of our own work, clients, and careers. We provide everyone with a large degree of freedom - in return, we expect an equally high degree of accountability and dedication. We transform by doing and insanely passionate about improving the end user experience. We are a people company. We share our knowledge and learnings, we dare to speak up and take risks. And we care deeply about one another, our clients, and the world around us.
We have from our very beginning always worked hard on providing everyone within our organisation the opportunity to grow and transform their job opportunities and career paths across the world. From graduates to seasoned professionals who are experts in their field. Valtech will always be recognised not just for the quality of the work we deliver, but for all the amazing people that make it happen. We don’t just talk about how to get things done; we really do transform by doing.
Here at Valtech we’re big believers that our staff are our most important asset, and as such we want to make sure we look after you. As well as all the usual corporate benefits (hybrid & flexible working, pension, life insurance, 25 days holiday, phone, laptop, BUPA private healthcare & dental etc), we pride ourselves on our commitment to continuous learning and development, which means you’ll have a clear growth and development path, alongside access to professional coaching and online learning courses.
You’ll be joining an inclusive and diverse workforce, working on truly exciting projects with collaborative teams at a local and global level, with a big focus on health and social well-being (free office lunches, Cycle to Work Scheme, Employee Assistance Programme, eye tests, Flu Jab, regular Company Days and staff parties).
We appreciate that interviews can be daunting. At Valtech we aim to make the interview process an approachable, two-way conversation, that allows us to get to know you and for you to get to know us. As part of our efforts to ensure the recruitment process is fair and consistent, we have put in place measures and initiatives to ensure we are not rating people differently due to our own bias.
If you would like to know more about our recruitment framework, click here.
Diversity and Inclusion at Valtech
At Valtech, we’re here to engineer experiences that work and reach every single person. To do this, we are proactive about creating workplaces that work for every person at Valtech. Our goal is to create an equitable workplace which gives people from all backgrounds the support they need to thrive, grow and meet their goals (whatever they may be).
As part of this work, we’re sharing an optional anonymous survey with you after your application. This survey will help us better understand the people who apply to work at Valtech. It'll help us see how different demographics progress through our hiring process, and where we need to make improvements to give them a better chance of succeeding. If you choose to fill it out, all of the information you give us is:
- Voluntary. And we've included a "prefer not to say" option for every question. It'd be helpful if you still fill out the survey even if you choose "prefer not to say" for every question, as it's useful for us to understand & record this. We won't know if you choose to fill this survey in or not
- Anonymous to Valtech. We can't tie your responses to you and they won't make a difference to the outcome of your application. We'll only use grouped responses for equal opportunities monitoring in our hiring process
For more information on how we'll use this data, please read our candidate privacy notice.
By filling out the survey, you agree that we can use your responses for the purposes we've mentioned above.