Java Technical Lead
Location: UK - Hybrid / Remote Working
A few words about us:
First things first… What will you become a part of? Valtech is a global digital agency focused on business transformation. We enable clients to anticipate tomorrow’s trends and connect more directly with their consumers across digital and physical touchpoints.
We deliver innovation with a purpose. With expertise across experience design, technology and marketing, our passion is in addressing transformational business challenges for our clients. Challenges where we re-imagine the customer journey and build new connected experiences. Challenges where we make data work in this new era and help our clients transform the way they operate and optimise business-critical digital platforms for multichannel commerce and marketing.
From discovery to optimisation, clients trust Valtech to remove complexity and deliver innovative, frictionless solutions that close the experience gap between customer expectation and reality. We are a network of more than 5,000 makers, thinkers, marketers, creatives, and developers spanning 5 continents with 50+ offices in 22 countries.
As a Java Technical Lead you will be responsible for coaching, mentoring and enabling teams to successfully deliver software across a range of different problem domains. You will leverage your technical excellence to help establish strong working relationships both internally and within the organisations of our customers.
You will be able to adapt to a quickly changing environment, whether that be being hands on one day, pairing with, supporting and getting the most out of other developers, or translating business requirements into a technical model. You should be able to seek out opportunity and use your autonomy to help drive the best outcomes for Valtech and our customers.
What you will be doing:
Each day you will be facing interesting questions about the implementation of large-scale software systems that need to handle challenges of scaling, resilience and performance.
You will continue to develop expertise both in technology and the means to communicate complex concepts and rationale to non-techies. We’ll encourage and support this with frequent opportunities to share ideas internally and externally at regional, national and global conferences.
Being effective in software delivery isn’t all about the code, you will also be:
- Participating in workshops to help identify and refine user requirements
- Writing acceptance tests and understanding Behaviour Driven Development principles
- Developing responsive web applications and familiarity with the challenges involved
- Team development in integrated environments using managed source control systems such as Git.
- You will be a technical leader, programmer, mentor and role model, confident leading and directing a team and liaising with customers
- You will be keen to learn, experiment and innovate with a range of established and new technologies
- The quality of your work is proven by the outcomes it realizes and the capability it gives to the customer, their customers, and the learning it shares with the rest of our organisation
- In this role there is an emphasis on team work and collaboration with all stakeholders on a project both internally and with customers
- You will be a confident facilitator comfortable both listening to and sharing technical ideas.
- The solutions will be full lifecycle projects and your involvement will be central to the success at each phase of the lifecycle
- Java 8 or higher
- Java web frameworks (E.g. Play, Spring)
- Experience in creation of web services
- Relational and/or NOSQL datastores
- Development practices: pair programming, planning poker, IoC, TDD, BDD
- Software engineering: History of designing and implementing maintainable, scalable software solutions with clean code
- Knowledge of Software / Integration Design Patterns
- Experience with infrastructure and tools (source control, story boards, Wiki)
- Experience of working with cloud technologies, Infrastructure as code and automation techniques.
- Ability to communicate (both verbal and written) with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Ability to run and lead workshops
- Experience of mentoring, coaching and supporting less experienced colleagues and clients.
What can you expect from us:
At Valtech you’ll become part of our exceptional team of more than 5,000 talented innovators, design thinkers, marketers, creatives, and engineers. We interact across countries, disciplines, trades, roles and teams. We are consultants before anything else and take ownership of our own work, clients, and careers. We provide everyone with a large degree of freedom - in return, we expect an equally high degree of accountability and dedication. We transform by doing and insanely passionate about improving the end user experience. We are a people company. We share our knowledge and learnings, we dare to speak up and take risks. And we care deeply about one another, our clients, and the world around us.
We have from our very beginning always worked hard on providing everyone within our organisation the opportunity to grow and transform their job opportunities and career paths across the world. From graduates to seasoned professionals who are experts in their field. Valtech will always be recognised not just for the quality of the work we deliver, but for all the amazing people that make it happen. We don’t just talk about how to get things done; we really do transform by doing.
Here at Valtech we’re big believers that our staff are our most important asset, and as such we want to make sure we look after you. As well as all the usual corporate benefits (hybrid & flexible working, pension, life insurance, 25 days holiday, phone, laptop, BUPA private healthcare & dental etc), we pride ourselves on our commitment to continuous learning and development, which means you’ll have a clear growth and development path, alongside access to professional coaching and online learning courses.
You’ll be joining an inclusive and diverse workforce, working on truly exciting projects with collaborative teams at a local and global level, with a big focus on health and social well-being (free office lunches, Cycle to Work Scheme, Employee Assistance Programme, eye tests, Flu Jab, regular Company Days and staff parties).
We appreciate that interviews can be daunting. At Valtech we aim to make the interview process an approachable, two-way conversation, that allows us to get to know you and for you to get to know us. As part of our efforts to ensure the recruitment process is fair and consistent, we have put in place measures and initiatives to ensure we are not rating people differently due to our own bias.
If you would like now more about our recruitment framework, click here.
Diversity and Inclusion at Valtech
At Valtech, we’re here to engineer experiences that work and reach every single person. To do this, we are proactive about creating workplaces that work for every person at Valtech. Our goal is to create an equitable workplace which gives people from all backgrounds the support they need to thrive, grow and meet their goals (whatever they may be).
As part of this work, we’re sharing an optional anonymous survey with you after your application. This survey will help us better understand the people who apply to work at Valtech. It'll help us see how different demographics progress through our hiring process, and where we need to make improvements to give them a better chance of succeeding. If you choose to fill it out, all of the information you give us is:
- Voluntary. And we've included a "prefer not to say" option for every question. It'd be helpful if you still fill out the survey even if you choose "prefer not to say" for every question, as it's useful for us to understand & record this. We won't know if you choose to fill this survey in or not
- Anonymous to Valtech. We can't tie your responses to you and they won't make a difference to the outcome of your application. We'll only use grouped responses for equal opportunities monitoring in our hiring process
For more information on how we'll use this data, please read our candidate privacy notice.
By filling out the survey, you agree that we can use your responses for the purposes we've mentioned above.