By joining Valtech you will become part of a unique digital consultancy. We bring together design, data science and software engineering professionals to deliver new products for our customers across the UK.
This diverse set of capabilities means that no two projects are the same. We undertake transformative projects with a collaborative approach. We work with our customers employing Agile and Lean principals to support decision making, build understanding and ultimately deliver the right service to users.
We are passionate about delivery and curious about new innovations in digital. Our teams seek to fail fast to accelerate learning making experimentation safe. As communities we are sociable and encourage learning. We use regular internal events, meet ups and external events to engage with new ideas at all levels.
How we deliver
There are some fundamental principles to the way that we deliver. While we are pragmatic in our approach to any specific project, if you don’t share these values we are unlikely to be a good fit for you:
• Cross-functional teams
Agile methods have always emphasised the merit of teams with all the skills necessary to delivery on user’s needs. To work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team it helps to be genuinely interested in the work of those in other roles. We value the flexibility to pick up slack across other areas of capability as well as expertise and specialization.
We find that diverse groups working together come to better solutions. In user testing this approach builds empathy in the team. In design we collaborate to test ideas and develop alternatives. As a team we work together to improve our approach.
• Continuous learning
This applies to product development as it applies to individuals. Our projects are designed to engage with uncertainty creating opportunities to learn. We use experiments, prototypes and hypotheses to learn about user behaviour, design algorithms and select technologies. Our communities of practice provide a space for us to improve and learn from peers. While as individuals a personal training budget enables opportunity to grow and develop.
• Outcome Focus
When driving our projects we focus on outcomes. Knowing how a project will be deemed a success by users and customers enables creativity and innovation.
The Extra Bits
As a .NET Developer within our organisation you will be facing interesting questions about the implementation of large-scale software systems that need to handle daily challenges of scaling, resilience and performance.
As a consultant you are expected to develop expertise both in technology and the means to communicate complex concepts and rationale to non-techies. We’ll encourage and support this with frequent opportunities to share ideas internally. We also have consultants frequently deliver at regional, national and global conferences.
Being effective in software delivery isn’t all about the code, we’ll be looking to see good experience and awareness across many of the following areas:
- Experience working in cross-functional teams using Scrum and/or Kanban
- Experience participating in workshops to identify and define user requirements
- Experience writing acceptance tests and understanding Behaviour Driven Development principles
- Experience developing highly interactive websites and familiarity with the challenges involved
- Experience of team development in integrated environments using managed source control systems such as Git
- Possess a good understanding of different software architectures
- Proven experience working in projects where Test Driven Development, pair programming and refactoring principles were applied
- General awareness of SEO coding concepts; especially URL structure
- Knowledge of Software/ Enterprise Design Patterns
- Experience with development infrastructure and tools (revision control, bug tracking, wiki)
On the tech side, while we believe that good people can learn new things quickly, it wouldn’t hurt if you had solid experience with any the following supporting technologies:
- .NET Software Development (C#)
- MVC, WebAPI, Razor
- Elastic Search
- ReactJS, AngularJS, BackboneJS, KnockoutJS, NodeJS
- Development practices: pair programming, planning poker, CI or CD, IoC, TDD, BDD, mocking frameworks
- Software engineering: Capable of designing software solutions with DDD and SOLID principles
- Have worked in a Scrum team as a developer or a Scrum Master
As well as excellent written and oral communication skills, the candidate must have a genuine interest in the industry and aforementioned technologies, a trait quantified by their ability to stay up to date with the latest developments and best practices.