Who are we?
Valtech is more than just a digital agency. Whilst we’ve been transforming our clients’ businesses for over 25 years, we’ve also been working hard to offer transformative job opportunities for our colleagues across the world. From graduates to seasoned professionals who are experts in their field, Valtech will always be recognised not just for the quality of work we deliver, but for all of the amazing people that make it happen.
We are 3000+ people in nearly 40 offices in 16 countries. We work with some of the world’s best known brands from travel to retail, connected experiences to automotive and we don’t just talk about how to get things done, we really transform by doing.
How we deliver?
There are some fundamental principles to the way that we deliver. While we are pragmatic in our approach to any specific project, if you don’t share these values we are unlikely to be a good fit for you:
- Cross-functional teams
Agile methods have always emphasised the merit of teams with all the skills necessary to delivery on user’s needs. To work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team it helps to be genuinely interested in the work of those in other roles. We value the flexibility to pick up slack across other areas of capability as well as expertise and specialisation.
We find that diverse groups working together come to better solutions. In user testing this approach builds empathy in the team. In design we collaborate to test ideas and develop alternatives. As a team we work together to improve our approach.
- Continuous learning
This applies to product development as it applies to individuals. Our projects are designed to engage with uncertainty creating opportunities to learn. We use experiments, prototypes and hypotheses to learn about user behaviour, design algorithms and select technologies. Our communities of practice provide a space for us to improve and learn from peers. While as individuals a personal training budget enables opportunity to grow and develop.
- Outcome Focus
When driving our projects, we focus on outcomes. Knowing how a project will be deemed a success by users and customers enables creativity and innovation.
Specialist Skills & Requirements:
As a Java Developer within our organisation you will be facing interesting questions about the implementation of large-scale software systems that need to handle daily challenges of scaling, resilience and performance.
As a consultant you are expected to develop expertise both in technology and the means to communicate complex concepts and rationale to non-techies. We’ll encourage and support this with frequent opportunities to share ideas internally. We also have consultants frequently deliver at regional, national and global conferences.
Being effective in software delivery isn’t all about the code, you will also be:
- Participating in workshops to help identify and refine user requirements
- Writing acceptance tests and understanding Behavior Driven Development principles
- Developing responsive web applications and familiarity with the challenges involved
- Team development in integrated environments using managed source control systems such as Git
As a consultancy we work on a range of projects:
- Greenfield and Brownfield projects
- Digital (Web)/ Big Data/ Platform projects
- Full Lifecyle development projects from discovery/ inception phase through to delivery
- Cutting edge technologies with cross functional teams
What You’ll need:
- Java 8 or higher
- Java web frameworks (E.g. Play, Spring)
- Experience in creation of web services
- Relational and/or NOSQL datastores
- Development practices: pair programming, planning poker, CI or CD, IoC, TDD, BDD
- Software engineering: Capable of designing software solutions with clean code and SOLID principles
- Have worked in an agile team as a developer or development lead
- Knowledge of Software/ Integration Design Patterns
- Experience with development infrastructure and tools (source control, story boards, wiki)
- Ability to communicate (both verbal and written) with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Exposure to other JVM based languages such as Groovy or Scala
- Exposure to other scripting languages such as Ruby or Python
- Understanding of different software architectures
- Exposure to Agile modelling
- Awareness of cloud providers and cloud technologies
- Ability to run and lead workshops
- Experience of mentoring, coaching and supporting less experienced colleagues and clients.
Diversity and Inclusion at Valtech
At Valtech, we’re here to engineer experiences that work and reach every single person. To do this, we are proactive about creating workplaces that work for every person at Valtech. Our goal is to create an equitable workplace which gives people from all backgrounds the support they need to thrive, grow and meet their goals (whatever they may be).
As part of this work, we’re sharing an optional anonymous survey with you after your application. This survey will help us better understand the people who apply to work at Valtech. It'll help us see how different demographics progress through our hiring process, and where we need to make improvements to give them a better chance of succeeding. If you choose to fill it out, all of the information you give us is:
- Voluntary. And we've included a "prefer not to say" option for every question. It'd be helpful if you still fill out the survey even if you choose "prefer not to say" for every question, as it's useful for us to understand & record this. We won't know if you choose to fill this survey in or not.
- Anonymous to Valtech. We can't tie your responses to you and they won't make a difference to the outcome of your application. We'll only use grouped responses for equal opportunities monitoring in our hiring process.
For more information on how we'll use this data, please read our candidate privacy notice.
By filling out the survey, you agree that we can use your responses for the purposes we've mentioned above.