Valtech is more than just a digital agency. Whilst we’ve been transforming our clients’ businesses for over 25 years, we’ve also been working hard to offer transformative job opportunities for our colleagues across the world. From graduates to seasoned professionals who are experts in their field, Valtech will always be recognised not just for the quality of work we deliver, but for all of the amazing people that make it happen.
We are 3000+ people in nearly 40 offices in 16 countries. We work with some of the world’s best known brands from travel to retail, connected experiences to automotive and we don’t just talk about how to get things done, we really transform by doing.
How we deliver
There are some fundamental principles to the way that we deliver. While we are pragmatic in our approach to any specific project, if you don’t share these values we are unlikely to be a good fit for you:
- Cross-functional teams
Agile methods have always emphasised the merit of teams with all the skills necessary to delivery on user’s needs. To work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team it helps to be genuinely interested in the work of those in other roles. We value the flexibility to pick up slack across other areas of capability as well as expertise and specialisation.
We find that diverse groups working together come to better solutions. In user testing this approach builds empathy in the team. In design we collaborate to test ideas and develop alternatives. As a team we work together to improve our approach.
- Continuous learning
This applies to product development as it applies to individuals. Our projects are designed to engage with uncertainty creating opportunities to learn. We use experiments, prototypes and hypotheses to learn about user behaviour, design algorithms and select technologies. Our communities of practice provide a space for us to improve and learn from peers. While as individuals a personal training budget enables opportunity to grow and develop.
- Outcome Focus
When driving our projects, we focus on outcomes. Knowing how a project will be deemed a success by users and customers enables creativity and innovation.
Specialist Skills & Requirements
As a Java Developer within our organisation you will be facing interesting questions about the implementation of large-scale software systems that need to handle daily challenges of scaling, resilience and performance.
As a consultant you are expected to develop expertise both in technology and the means to communicate complex concepts and rationale to non-techies. We’ll encourage and support this with frequent opportunities to share ideas internally. We also have consultants frequently deliver at regional, national and global conferences.
Being effective in software delivery isn’t all about the code, you will also be:
- Participating in workshops to help identify and refine user requirements
- Writing acceptance tests and understanding Behavior Driven Development principles
- Developing responsive web applications and familiarity with the challenges involved
- Team development in integrated environments using managed source control systems such as Git
What you’ll need
- Java 8 or higher
- Java web frameworks (E.g. Play, Spring)
- Experience in creation of web services
- Relational and/or NOSQL datastores
- Development practices: pair programming, planning poker, CI or CD, IoC, TDD, BDD
- Software engineering: Capable of designing software solutions with clean code and SOLID principles
- Have worked in an agile team as a developer or development lead
- Knowledge of Software/ Integration Design Patterns
- Experience with development infrastructure and tools (source control, story boards, wiki)
- Ability to communicate (both verbal and written) with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Experience of mentoring, coaching and supporting less experienced colleagues and clients
- Exposure to other JVM based languages such as Groovy or Scala
- Exposure to other scripting languages such as Ruby or Python
- Understanding of different software architectures
- Exposure to Agile modelling
- Awareness of cloud providers and cloud technologies
- Ability to run and lead workshops